Friday, September 14, 2007

"The Way Of Truth"

A daily, Bible-based perspective of hope, encouragement and exhortation.

<Previous Message · Easy read/print edition

Friday, September 14, 2007

Appalachian trail overlook
Nobska Lighthouse on Cape Cod.
(Click on photo to enlarge)

ListenClick here to listen to us read this message on your audio player.

"The Way Of Truth"

"I have chosen the way of truth" (Psalm 119:30).

Several years ago I met with the president and vice president of a large company here in Lancaster County. Both are committed to Christ and seek to lead their company with integrity. I asked how I could pray for them and the issues they face in running their business.

Without hesitation the president requested that I ask the Lord to help his company leadership to find other businesses of integrity in which they could do business. Then, in a sense of concession to current conditions, he asked for wisdom in dealing with companies that lacked integrity. This is certainly a great challenge in living out our lives here in a fallen world and particularly difficult for those running a business.

The breakdown of truthfulness is an epidemic at all levels of society. I am sure the same situation exists in the various countries where these encouragement messages are read.

I have excellent filters that screen my email for those obnoxious, unsolicited email messages but the filters also occasionally filter legitimate mail. So I still have to quickly scan through the unwelcome junk email. What an example of the flood of lies and deceit. It seems a lot of people have died and want to give me millions of dollars, that I can make thousands of dollars a week from my home doing essentially nothing, or I can refinance my house mortgage for 2%, etc. etc. etc.! Lies, lies lies!

Truthfulness is foundational to order in society. Saint Augustine said, "When regard for truth has been broken down or even slightly weakened, all things will remain doubtful."

The breakdown in truthfulness is rampant in so many families, communities, court systems, and nations. It's certainly the case in the business world. Sadly it can even be so among professing Christians and the Church.

The foundational importance of truthfulness is stated in the Ninth Commandment, "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor." The simple Proverb says, "The LORD detests differing weights, and dishonest scales do not please Him" (20:23).

What a great statement in the daily text as the Psalmist declares, "I have chosen the way of truth." That's sure a statement that we would all do well to make and apply to our lives. The sense of the Hebrew word for "way" is "a course of life or mode of action." May God give each of us a daily resolve to choose the "way of truth."


Be encouraged today,


Stephen & Brooksyne Weber

Daily prayer: Father, I choose the way of truth, for it is also the way of light, for Jesus Himself said, "I am the Light." Darkness lurks where deception and falsehood exists and becomes the breeding ground for all sorts of evil. Father, I ask You to shine Your searchlight on the contents of my heart and reveal the motive for my actions. Help me to purge all that dishonors Your name. I invite Your light to dispel the darkness of my soul. Help me to be characterized by truthfulness in all my ways. Amen.



We have some very special company this evening and visiting with us through the weekend. The Matangelos have been our friends for 30 years now. We met Mike before we even started the church in upstate PA and Mike and Kathy became formative members early on and remain faithful to the Lord to this day, although they now live in North Carolina. It will be great to visit with them!



We have made a change in where we prepare these daily messages. The last couple of weeks I have "attempted" to refinish the front portion of our little barn and will be using this area as an office. We have an outstanding view across the road to the farm fields to the west. However we sure need to deal with the fly problem!

Our new office in barn (unfinished)
Here's a photo of our rather rough, unfinished new barn office setup!

Our barn
Here's a photo of our barn. Our house is to the right.

View from our new office in barn
Here's the view we have as we work with the barn doors open!



Today's suggested music:
"The Voice of Truth" (Audio)


Administration Information
Weber family photo 9/30/06
The Weber Family
Stephen, Brooksyne & Ester
"Our family wants to encourage you daily in your walk with Christ!"

Personal Ministry Update
We share our hearts with you as we go forth in this online ministry.

Donate Each weekday morning Brooksyne and I prepare these messages and distribute them at no cost to you and many others all over the world. Would you please consider a financial offering to support us in this encouragement ministry? Thanks! See here for details.

Join:
To receive these free "Daily Encouragement" devotionals each Monday-Friday through email see this page to subscribe. You can also subscribe to the rss feed.

Cancel: To remove your address from this mailing list merely use the link placed by the mailing list software at the very bottom of each message.
Weekly Version: The weekly version is designed for those who do not check their email regularly. It is merely the Friday message with a link to previous messages. To receive the free weekly version, send a blank email to this address. (To change addresses cancel your old address and then join again using your new address.)

Please feel free to pass this message on!


Daily Encouragement Net is an affiliate of Christianbook.com (Any orders placed to Christian Book Distributers using this link or a specific product link to a recommended resource in a daily encouragement message will help the Daily Encouragement ministry through a small commission.)

Personal Mission Statement:
"I am created by God to bring Him glory. Through God's Son Jesus Christ I have been redeemed and I make it my life's goal to please the Lord. My mission in life is to honor God through my faith and obedience and to prepare myself and all whom I may influence for eternity."

How to become a child of God

Scripture references are from The Holy Bible: New International Version. © 1984 by International Bible Society; NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission; and the King James Version.

© Copyright 2007 Stephen C. Weber - All Rights Reserved

Daily Encouragement Net
495 Kraybill Church Road - Mount Joy, PA 17552
Contact us
Chaplaincy logo

"Living securely today anchored
in God's solid foundation"


www.dailyencouragement.net