Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"Tell the Truth"


RSS feed Podcast feed
Daily Encouragement Net Header
A daily, Bible-based perspective of hope, encouragement and exhortation.

<Previous Message · Print Easy read/print edition

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Open Bible on Communion Table
Open Bible on the Communion Table in our church.

ListenListen to this message on your audio player.

"Tell the Truth"

"Lord, who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy hill? He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from his heart and has no slander on his tongue … who keeps his oath even when it hurts" (Psalm 15:1-4).

Since we moved to Mount Joy in early 2001 I have had my car service done at a locally owned garage on West Main Street. I always ask for Eric, a young man who seems to know my vehicles, since he's done most of the service work on them from the time I purchased them. He does a good job and I feel he's always been honest with me.

Wally Cleaver
He's also a got a positive, friendly disposition and I like it when he says, "Have a great day, Mr. Weber." That kind of reminds me of how Wally Cleaver talked to those his senior. Wally's television character grew into the kind of young man I would want to do business with.

Oil filler cap
Shortly after I started going to the garage I requested an oil change for my camry. When I got home I saw that they had forgotten to place the oil filler cap back on. I called expecting it might be a hassle but Eric said, "Bring it right in, Mr. Weber, and we will put on a temporary replacement and order a new one for your model." And that's just what he did; promptly, no charge, and no hassle.

A Christian businessman friend of mine told me about a previous job he had where he was pressured to falsify records and distort manufacturing specifications. He refused to compromise his integrity and as a result lost the job he had for many years.

Particularly painful to him were the attempts by the company to "justify" their actions by maligning him to other employees who were his close friends. This is a man who demonstrated the daily verse. His oath was acting with integrity in the business world because of his Christian convictions and because he did so he experienced significant injustice.

Many times we will find being truthful really does hurt on the short-term. Someone else got that job promotion because he was adept at misrepresentation. (In my observation falsified and misleading educational credentials are rampant in our society.) A neighbor shares with a twinkle in the eye how he got a better deal on his insurance because of an incomplete disclosure. Mankind has been lying ever since the original sin and is becoming more and more skilled in ways of deception.

Psalm 15 contains a list of characteristics required by God of the one who would dwell in God's sanctuary and live on God's holy hill (v. 1). In this present age these characteristics would surely apply to those desiring a close walk with God; those with a heart to live in His presence. The portion of the verse selected this morning is so very important and yet greatly lacking in our modern world.

David is reminding us of the unchanging verity of the ninth commandment, "Thou shall not bear false witness." God wants us to keep our word and speak the truth even if it hurts. In our day of slippery words, half truths, and embellishments we need to keep our word even when it hurts. The pressures to violate the 9th command are great, but by God's grace and in His strength we can keep from doing so. God still "desires truth in the inner parts" (Psalm 51:6a). Jesus wants us to live in the truth, to speak the truth, and to listen to the truth!


Be encouraged today,


Stephen & Brooksyne Weber

Daily prayer: Father, Your Word I have hidden in my heart that I might not sin against You; for it teaches me to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly before You. Even when it brings about hurtful circumstances help me to do the right thing in keeping with the Christ-filled nature I received upon the day of my salvation. May I not be found lacking in integrity but rather be characterized by my integrity as it honors my Father in heaven. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.



Ester with David
During last week's home Bible Study Ester and Ruth enjoyed reading Bible stories to David and he is very attentive!
I am sure his parent's prayer is "May it ever be so!"



I enjoy storytelling and have been enjoying the online missives of Nelson Lauver, "the American storyteller".
Here's a sample based on today's theme (4 minute audio)



Today's Suggested Music and
Supplemental Resources


"From The Inside Out" (audio)

"Voice Of Truth" (audio)

"My Savior, My God" (audio)

Info about multi-media files used on daily encouragement.

Send a message to Stephen & Brooksyne.
Administration Information

2008 Valentine's Sweetheart banquet


Stephen and Brooksyne Weber
"We want to encourage you daily in your walk with Christ!"

Personal Ministry Update
Revised 02/20/08





DonateEach weekday morning Brooksyne and I prepare these messages and distribute them at no cost to you and many others all over the world. Would you please consider a financial offering to support us in this encouragement ministry? Thanks! See here for details. (2008 YTD financial offerings through 2/26/2008 $2,285.00)

Join:
To receive these free "Daily Encouragement" devotionals each Monday-Friday through email see this page to subscribe. You can also subscribe to the rss feed.


Cancel: To remove your address from this mailing list merely use the link automatically placed by the mailing list software at the very bottom of each message.

Weekly Version:
The weekly version is designed for those who do not check their email regularly. It is merely the Friday message with a link to previous messages. To receive the free weekly version, send a blank email to this address.
(To change addresses cancel your old address and then join again using your new address.)

Please feel free to pass this message on!





Our other blogs:
"A Daily Prayer" - The daily prayer from each daily encouragement message.
"A Little Foolishness" - A collection of humorous and satirical stories drawn mostly from our years of ministry, as well as my sometimes fertile imagination.
"Clear Minded" - Longer, periodic articles on specific issues impacting the church.


New Musical playlists Classic hymns mix Christian eclectic mix

Christianbook.comDaily Encouragement Net is an affiliate of Christianbook.com Any orders placed to Christian Book Distributers using this link or any specific product link to a recommended resource in a daily encouragement message will help our Daily Encouragement ministry through a small commission on the sale. Thank you for using these links when purchasing online through CBD!

Personal Mission Statement:
"I am created by God to bring Him glory. Through God's Son Jesus Christ I have been redeemed and I make it my life's goal to please the Lord. My mission in life is to honor God through my faith and obedience and to prepare myself and all whom I may influence for eternity."

How to become a child of God

Scripture references are from The Holy Bible: New International Version. © 1984 by International Bible Society; NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission; and the King James Version.


© Copyright 2008 Stephen C. Weber - All Rights Reserved

Daily Encouragement Net
Stephen & Brooksyne Weber
495 Kraybill Church Road - Mount Joy, PA 17552
Contact us
Chaplaincy logo

"Living securely today anchored
in God's solid foundation"


http://www.dailyencouragement.net/