Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Daily Encouragement (10/18/06) "Salvaging Lives"

To make sure you continue to receive these e-mails in your Inbox (so they're not sent to a junk folder),
please add scweber@dailyencouragement.net to your address book or safe sender list.
Whitelist Us Trouble reading this email? Read current message online or see archives.
RSS feed Podcast feed
Daily Encouragement Net Header
A daily, Bible-based perspective of hope, encouragement and exhortation.


<Previous Message · ListenListen to these messages · Easy read/print

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Photo of Autumn sunset
Autumn sun on trees in our backyard
(Click on photo to enlarge)


(Click here to listen to this message on your audio player.)


"Salvaging Lives"

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us" (Romans 8:37).

"Help me salvage this life." What a descriptive plea I heard from a caring father. And salvaging lives is at the heart of what ministry is all about.

Today's message is for some special people who need to be reminded of a wonderful spiritual truth. In the world there's a tendency to view some people as "losers" and in fact there are many people who see themselves in this way. Please hear the word of the Lord today. Although some of you will be unable to identify with the burden I share I urge you to read and pray for those who will.

Danny came into our church one evening, invited by a caring friend who had reached out to him to salvage a life. He was wracked by a series of difficult circumstances and poor choices. He was surely what the world would call a "loser" and that's the way he saw himself. Addicted to heroin and dealing with deadly disease he was a sad sight to behold.

I preached the gospel and he responded to the altar call. What a wonderful transformation took place as he put his faith in Christ! We followed up on him and since he didn't live near us, we helped him get grounded in a local church closer to where he lived. A few times he would come back to visit and once he joyfully reported to our congregation, "They made me an usher!"

Today some of you are very discouraged. It may be nothing like Danny's circumstances but you really do see yourself as a loser. You just don't know when it's going to turn around for you. You've placed your faith in Christ, beginning the salvage process, and yet circumstances just don't seem to be working out. You're like the Biblical character, who in a moment of weariness and despair said, "I have had enough, LORD."* You are weighed down by pounding waves of trials. Life has just not seemed fair to you.
The "All these things" the Apostle Paul referred to in the daily text were delineated a few verses earlier; "trouble, hardship, persecution, famine, nakedness, danger, sword." The essence of any situation we've ever encountered or ever will is included in this list.

But the inspired Scriptures declare that "we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." That's true regardless of any circumstance we encounter or how we view ourselves or how others may view us. That's the good news I leave with you today! God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life. He continues to salvage lives!


Be encouraged today,


Stephen & Brooksyne Weber

Daily Prayer: Father, Your grace is sufficient to meet all my needs in the midst of trouble, hardship, persecution, famine, nakedness, danger and sword. I am truly more than a conqueror because of Your love for me! I choose to believe Your Word and apply its wondrous truths to my life. I reject Satan's cunning lies that seek to convince me that I am an exception to Your redemptive power or that my troubles can never be repaired by Your almighty hand. Your power is unbiased, all-reaching, and ever merciful to those who call upon You in times of trouble. I'm so grateful that Your sufficiency exceeds my need. Thank you for salvaging my life. Amen.



* I like to challenge people to dig so I won't identify the character or the reference where this statement was made, but only that it is in the New International Version. Here's a bit more context: "He came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. 'I have had enough, LORD,' he said. 'Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.'" I wonder how many can tell me who this pertains to and where it is found? (An extra pat on the back credit if you can do so without looking it up!)

ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION
Donate Each weekday Brooksyne and I prepare these messages and distribute them at no cost to you and many others all around the world. Would you please help us continue this encouragement ministry? As an expression of appreciation for your support we are offering our new "Encouragement" screensaver, a selection of photos with accompanying Scriptures, along with our desktop collection with each offering (available either as download or CD.) See here for details.

Personal Ministry Update

Join: To receive this free "Daily Encouragement" e-mail devotional use our form. New subscribers receive a link to free computer desktop background photos with Scriptures! Here's the welcome letter that comes with new subscriptions.

Cancel: To remove your address from this mailing list merely use the link at the very bottom. (To change addresses cancel old address and then join again using new address.)

Contact us

Please feel free to pass this message on!


Bookstore
Daily Encouragement Net is
an affiliate of Christianbook.com
Search:
Christianbook.com

Weber family photo 9/30/06
The Weber Family Stephen, Brooksyne & Ester
"We want to encourage you daily in your walk with Christ!"
(Click on photo to enlarge)

Personal Mission Statement:
"I am created by God to bring Him glory. Through God's Son Jesus Christ I have been redeemed and I make it my life's goal to please the Lord. My mission in life is to honor God through my faith and obedience and to prepare myself and all whom I may influence for eternity."
How to become a child of God Scripture references are from The Holy Bible: New International Version. © 1984 by International Bible Society; NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission; and the King James Version.

© Copyright 2006 Stephen C. Weber - All Rights Reserved
Daily Encouragement Net - 495 Kraybill Church Road - Mount Joy, PA 17552

Chaplaincy logo

"Living securely today anchored
in God's solid foundation"