Thursday, March 08, 2007

"The Bible Road"

RSS feed xml Podcast feed

Daily Encouragement Net Header

A daily, Bible-based perspective of hope, encouragement and exhortation.

Previous Message · Easy read/print edition

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Frosty tree
This morning the temperature was down to nearly 0 with a brilliant sun. Jay, a friend of mine, stopped by and told me there were some beautiful photos in our neighborhood and he was sure right!

ListenClick here to listen to us read this message on your audio player.

"The Bible Road"

Bible Road"There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death" (Proverbs 14:12). "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16,17).

We passed this sign as we traveled through central Pennsylvania early this week. We chuckled together and thought it would be neat to live on Bible Road! Many of you will recall a childhood song and if you're like us you'll immediately recall the words:

The B-I-B-L-E
Yes that's the book for me.
I stand upon the Word of God
The B-I-B-L-E.


The spirit of lawlessness is growing rapidly in our time. Here in America we are dealing with issues practically unimaginable a generation ago (or for that matter, even several years ago!) These issues signal a return to the turbulent Biblical period of the Judges when the people became their own authority and acted on their own opinions of right and wrong. The writer portrays the spiritual climate with these words: "Everyone did what was right in his own eyes" (Judges 21:25). It is also descriptive of our own time period today.

I pray that God will give each reader deep discernment to understand the times and fill you with a firm resolve to remain faithful to God. In a remarkable prophetic statement in Daniel 12:10 we read, "The wicked will act wickedly; and none of the wicked will understand, but those who have insight will understand." I seek God for insight to understand and believe the timeless truths of the Bible are God's appointed means to convey His plan for our lives. We indeed need to be walking on Bible Road!

An interesting aspect of our first daily verse is that it's repeated twice verbatim in the book of Proverbs. It seems that the Holy Spirit wants to make doubly sure that we absolutely get this one! It's a clear and straightforward saying with a timeless truth. Indeed there are many ways that seem right to man. Our world is full of these "ways."

Many are on the road to the "New Age way". Others are walking on the road to the "Secular Humanist way". Still others are traveling the road of the "Psychic way", essentially placing faith in the world of demons. And sadly there are many church members trusting in the "Religious way." But if they don't have a personal relationship with Christ who said, "I am the way", such membership is another "way" that will lead to death.

It's interesting to me that the early church was known as "The Way" (see Acts 9:2). This was most likely based on a statement Christ had made that many of you have memorized: "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" (John 14:6).

The second daily verse is a tremendous text concerning the inspiration and authority of the Holy Scriptures. During our thirty years of ministry many children (most of whom are now adults) will recall Brooksyne's knack for putting Scriptures to music and teaching it to the kids as a memory aid. There are a lot of Scripture verses I memorized this way as well including this one! (See link below to hear Brooksyne and Ester demonstrate.)

Today, there are indeed many ways that seem right. The vital question of life we all must consider and answer for ourselves is, "Am I going His way?" "Am I on the Bible Road?"


Be encouraged today,


Stephen & Brooksyne Weber

Daily prayer: Father, I am thankful for the inspiration of the Holy Scriptures that provides an objective and accurate guide for every season of my life. The Bible is a lamp unto my feet and a light for the path that lies before me. It teaches, convicts, corrects, and trains me in the ways of godliness. Though many will choose other authorities to guide their lives, I choose Your Holy Book to equip me for the works You've called me to do in Your name. I rely on its inspired texts to sustain me in my lifetime commitment to walk in Your ways. Amen.



I managed to get Brooksyne and Ester to demonstrate the musical memory aid to 2 Timothy 3:16 & 17 mentioned in the message today. Now keep in mind it was early in the morning, using a basic microphone with no instrumental backup and studio mixing. Brooksyne says they're both a bit "pitchy" audio mp3



Here's a second verse I found to the B-I-B-L-E song that I don't recall singing as a child. I like it!

The B-I-B-L-E
Yes that's the book for me
I read and pray, trust and obey
The B-I-B-L-E.

The B-I-B-L-E, yes that's the book for me! audio mp3



Russ StatesOver 25 years ago I challenged Russ to serve Christ. He resisted at the time but eventually became a Christian. I lost contact with him for many years but on Sunday he introduced me to the congregation before I spoke. He now serves on the church leadership team.





Jean Yanni with EsterJohn and Jean were close neighbors for many years. John passed away when Ester was little. He was very fond of Ester, calling her a "Mayan princess" (since Ester is from Guatamala and descended from the Mayan Indians). We've kept up with Jean all these years and stopped in for a brief visit.




Administration Information
Weber family photo 9/30/06
The Weber Family
Stephen, Brooksyne & Ester
"Our family wants to encourage you daily in your walk with Christ!" (Click on photo to enlarge)
Donate Each weekday Brooksyne and I prepare these messages and distribute them at no cost to you and many others all around the world. Would you please consider a financial offering to support us in this encouragement ministry? See here for details.
Brooksyne and I thank God for another year of service for Him through our internet ministry and welcome readers to view our 2006 ministry report.

Join:
To receive this free "Daily Encouragement" devotional through email use our form.

Cancel: To remove your address from this mailing list merely use the link at the very bottom. (To change addresses cancel your old address and then join again using your new address.)
Please feel free to pass this message on!

Daily Encouragement Net is an affiliate of Christianbook.com
Search:
Christianbook.com
Personal Mission Statement: "I am created by God to bring Him glory. Through God's Son Jesus Christ I have been redeemed and I make it my life's goal to please the Lord. My mission in life is to honor God through my faith and obedience and to prepare myself and all whom I may influence for eternity."

How to become a child of God
Scripture references are from The Holy Bible: New International Version. © 1984 by International Bible Society; NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission; and the King James Version.

© Copyright 2007 Stephen C. Weber - All Rights Reserved

Daily Encouragement Net

495 Kraybill Church Road - Mount Joy, PA 17552
Contact us
Chaplaincy logo
"Living securely today anchored
in God's solid foundation"


Daily Encouragement Net